Share the Big Sky: Voices
Montana Open Land Month was established to help Montanans and visitors celebrate what makes Montana so incredibly special: our outdoor heritage. This page features news, opinion and creative writing – thanks to all who have shared your work!
- Explore Big Sky, July 24 2016: “Celebrate Montana’s Open Land“
- Bozeman Chronicle, July 23 2016: “Kids, open land & outdoor recreation“
- Bozeman Chronicle, July 16 2016: “State’s waters & lands helping heal veterans“
- Bozeman Chronicle, July 9 2016: “Open lands creating opportunity for Montana“
- Billings Gazette, July 3 2016: “Montana Conservation Starts Around Kitchen Table“
- Bozeman Chronicle, July 3 2016: “Open lands and an empty MT“
- Explore Big Sky, June 10 2016: “Big Sky Businesses ‘Step Up for Open Land’“
- Visit Big Sky, May 10 2016: “Protected Open Lands are the Key to Growing Big Sky’s Economy“
- Office of the Governor, November 13 2015: “Governor pleased to recognize July 2016 as Montana Open Land Month“
- Flathead Beacon, July 14 2015: “Stewards of the Land“
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle, July 11 2015: “Open Land Has a Big Role in Our Montana“
- Explore Big Sky, July 10 2015: “July is Open Land Month“
- Helena Independent Record, July 6 2015: “Montanans Celebrate Inaugural Open Land Month in 2015“
- KBZK, July 6 2015: “Montana Open Land Month Being Marked This July“
- Missoulian, July 3 2015: “FVLT Celebrates Open Land Month at Marshall Mountain“
- Bozone.com, July 1 2015: “July is Open Land Month in Montana“
- Official Tourism Industry News, July 2015: “July is Open Land Month in Montana“
- Red Ants Pants Music Festival Program, July 2015: “Celebrate Montana!“
We are honored to share the creativity and passion of others – delighted to share the best writing that celebrates Montana Open Land Month. Poems, short stories, essays, trail tales – you name it! We welcome your voice.
- “Open Land: Healing and Creating Community” Beautiful blog piece written 7/2016 by Janine Mariani, AmeriCorps member at HAVEN, domestic violence shelter and organization.
- “Open Land Reading List” Books for kids, adults & families to help you explore Montana. Librarians, avid readers and the Montana State Library helped us create this suggested reading list for libraries across Montana.
- “Open Land is In Our Blood“
This powerful opinion piece was written by Ron Marcoux and his granddaughter Bromley Maharg.
- “Good Night Big Sky“
Written by 2015 Big Sky Watershed Corp member Katherine Boyk, this delightful children’s tale is a fun, home-grown take-off on the beloved children’s book “Good Night Moon.”
- “25 Reasons Why Montana’s Open Space is Better Than Outer Space“
Written by 2015 Big Sky Watershed Corp member Katherine Boyk, this piece was originally published on buzzfeed.com.
To learn more or submit a piece, please contact us.